Our three asks following the spate of horrific road violence
Filed under: Campaign / General
In just one month, between 16 May and 15 June 2023, four people were killed and a further four seriously injured while walking or cycling in Birmingham. Three were children. They were just trying to go about their lives.
Over the coming weeks, we are meeting with politicians, authorities and community groups.
We will be pressing politicians and authorities to deliver three asks. These asks will change the culture of thoughtless driving and give people safe alternatives.
We first talked about these asks at Birmingham Live’s round table on road safety. You can watch a recording of the live stream on Facebook.
Our three asks
West Midlands Police to:
- Resource policing of this issue by:
- Establishing a task force of dedicated officers to prevent crime that affects vulnerable road users
- Tasking Safer Neighbourhood Teams with policing anti-social driving
- Properly resource transparent, third-party reporting that always provides feedback
Birmingham City Council to:
- Achieve 2025, not 2027: Relentlessly accelerate the implementation of funded schemes and Transport Plan, and give timescales for new road safety measures